Thursday, October 24, 2013

MySQL & PHP

I have been slacking on these blog posts lately, only because the workload at the Dojo has been getting progressively challenging. Since I last blogged, I had spoke about attending Uncubed, which was an incredible experience. If you really want to get your feet wet and a better understanding of what a startup tech company is all about then I highly recommend attending. The workshops at Uncubed focused on how to prepare for a tech interview, how to get hired at a startup company and even how to build a resume. In class we have been working on MySQL, (which is a database management system), and PHP, a (server-side scripting language).  Right now I am working through PHP, and let me tell you, it’s no duck walk, especially for someone who is new to programming. We are using MAMP/WAMP as our local server; setting up was the easy part but learning how and when to use loops, arrays, if/else statements, functions and variables is the tricky part. The coolest and most exciting project I did so far has been the coin toss assignment, in which you create a program that simulates someone throwing a coin 5000 times. The program also has to output how many times the coin ends up as heads and how many times the coin will end up as tails. Took me me some time and thinking to finish it but through strength and struggle, I got this! I posted some examples bellow of what I have been working on. Until we meet again, goodnight world!


Coin Toss











No comments:

Post a Comment